Saturday, December 1, 2012

Some Answers

Why China? I really don't have a good answer for that. It is just what I have always envisioned. I have tried to think of other options, but my thoughts always return to China. It is where we are supposed to go.

When will this all happen? I thought it took years to adopt from China?
There are 2 different routes in China adoptions, the SN (Special Needs) and the NSN (Non-Special Needs). The NSN route takes around 7 years. We are not going that route. The SN route normally takes AROUND a year. This is the route that we are going. We are open to needs such as minor to moderate heart conditions, cleft lip/palate, or club feet. We would consider other things depending upon the situation.

Do you know who she is? What age is she?
You can find your own referral when doing a SN adoption from China, but since we are open to only minor needs, then we most likely will need to wait for a referral to be given to us through our agency. We hope to have a referral in the spring sometime. We are able to review the referral and then decide whether or not to accept the referral. We are approved to adopt a child between the ages of 1 - 3.

Where are you in the process? What is the process?
The world of adoption from China involves many initials. HS, I800-A, USCIS, DTC, LID, OOT, LOA, I800, TA - just to name a few. If you really want to know about this, let me know. Basically, the steps are as follows: 1) get an approved home study (check), 2) get approval from the US side to adopt (step we are at) 3) send documents to China, 4) be accepted by China, 5) wait for referral, 6) accept referral, 7) receive permission from China to adopt a specific child, 8) receive permission from the US to adopt a specific child, 9) receive permission from China to travel, 10) travel to China to complete adoption.

Will the boys go with you to China? I am praying that they can. We will need to be in China for around 2 weeks. Two things will need to happen for them to get to go. First, the adoption MUST happen in June or July - high school kids can't miss school, and the band kid can't miss August band practice. Second, we have to raise enough money for them to go. We aren't believers in carrying a lot of debt, so if the money isn't there, then they can't go. Please feel free to pray that this can happen for them. I really want them to experience her native country.

Isn't adoption expensive? Yes, it is. It is about the same cost as buying a new car. The amazing thing is that once we made this decision, extra money for this just started to appear. I got a side job that pays well and requires minimal work. Other things just started popping up. I believe that God is clearly blessing this adoption.

One last thing, I am so excited I can hardly stand it. The wait just might kill me. I am ready for her to be home now. I worry about whether or not she is being taken care of and loved. I can't wait to see her face.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Jenna

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your blog from the China Adopt Talk forums. I am asked these same questions all the time and I'm glad you posted them! It can get frustrating, but I know people are just curious about the decisions we have made.
    My blog is http://everygoodandperfectthing.blogspot.com/
    I'm enjoying reading through your process, I'm hopefully not too far behind you!! Should be DTC in a few weeks. Can't wait to meet the newest member of our family! :)
    -Erin

    ReplyDelete